This paper explains the importance of using local food from sea catch fish in Southeast Sulawesi as a source of protein and its relation to reducing stunting prevalence in children. The article's source is a literature review related to seafood and stunting in children. This study explains the shift in children's eating patterns, barriers to consuming seafood as a protein source and promoting seafood as a protein source into a sustainable nutrition program. Multisectoral cooperation will aid in reducing the prevalence of malnutrition in vulnerable groups. Recognizing local resources that can be optimized as sources of food intake for vulnerable groups is also a must to be included in program preparation. This paper is confirmed by the results of ongoing studies and observations to help ensure the right program design to reduce stunting in coastal areas.
- Dewey KG, Begum K. Long-term consequences of stunting in early life: Long-term consequences of stunting. Matern Child Nutr. 2011;7: 5–18. doi:10.1111/j.1740-8709.2011.00349.x
- Utami RA, Setiawan A, Fitriyani P. Identifying causal risk factors for stunting in children under five years of age in South Jakarta, Indonesia. Enferm Clínica. 2019;29: 606–611. doi:10.1016/j.enfcli.2019.04.093
- Gashu D, Stoecker BJ, Bougma K, Adish A, Haki GD, Marquis GS. Stunting, selenium deficiency and anemia are associated with poor cognitive performance in preschool children from rural Ethiopia. Nutr J. 2015;15: 38. doi:10.1186/s12937-016-0155-z
- World Health Organization. Global nutrition targets 2025: stunting policy brief. World Health Organization; 2014. Available: https://www.who.int/publications/i/item/WHO-NMH-NHD-14.3
- Hudaya KS. Cegah Stunting Itu Baik. Warta KESMAS. 201802.
- Kattula D, Sarkar R, Sivarathinaswamy P, Velusamy V, Venugopal S, Naumova EN, et al. The first 1000 days of life: prenatal and postnatal risk factors for morbidity and growth in a birth cohort in southern India. BMJ Open. 2014;4: e005404–e005404. doi:10.1136/bmjopen-2014-005404
- Wright CM, Macpherson J, Bland R, Ashorn P, Zaman S, Ho FK. Wasting and Stunting in Infants and Young Children as Risk Factors for Subsequent Stunting or Mortality: Longitudinal Analysis of Data from Malawi, South Africa, and Pakistan. J Nutr. 2021;151: 2022–2028. doi:10.1093/jn/nxab054
- Persson LÅ. Prenatal nutrition, socioenvironmental conditions, and child development. Lancet Glob Health. 2017;5: e127–e128. doi:10.1016/S2214-109X(16)30356-4
- Vickers M. Early Life Nutrition, Epigenetics and Programming of Later Life Disease. Nutrients. 2014;6: 2165–2178. doi:10.3390/nu6062165
- Steegers-Theunissen RPM, Twigt J, Pestinger V, Sinclair KD. The periconceptional period, reproduction and long-term health of offspring: the importance of one-carbon metabolism. Hum Reprod Update. 2013;19: 640–655. doi:10.1093/humupd/dmt041
- Sebayang SK, Dibley MJ, Kelly PJ, Shankar AV, Shankar AH, on behalf of the SUMMIT Study Group. Determinants of low birthweight, small-for-gestational-age and preterm birth in Lombok, Indonesia: analyses of the birthweight cohort of the SUMMIT trial: Determinants of low birthweight, small for gestational age and preterm births. Trop Med Int Health. 2012;17: 938–950. doi:10.1111/j.1365-3156.2012.03039.x
- Jacques PF, Bostom AG, Wilson PW, Rich S, Rosenberg IH, Selhub J. Determinants of plasma total homocysteine concentration in the Framingham Offspring cohort. Am J Clin Nutr. 2001;73: 613–621. doi:10.1093/ajcn/73.3.613
- Dangour AD, Watson L, Cumming O, Boisson S, Che Y, Velleman Y, et al. Interventions to improve water quality and supply, sanitation and hygiene practices, and their effects on the nutritional status of children. Cochrane Public Health Group, editor. Cochrane Database Syst Rev. 2013 [cited 19 Oct 2022]. doi:10.1002/14651858.CD009382.pub2
- Millward DJ. Nutrition, infection and stunting: the roles of deficiencies of individual nutrients and foods, and of inflammation, as determinants of reduced linear growth of children. Nutr Res Rev. 2017;30: 50–72. doi:10.1017/S0954422416000238
- Imdad A, Bhutta ZA. Routine Iron/Folate Supplementation during Pregnancy: Effect on Maternal Anaemia and Birth Outcomes: Routine Iron/Folate Supplementation during Pregnancy. Paediatr Perinat Epidemiol. 2012;26: 168–177. doi:10.1111/j.1365-3016.2012.01312.x
- World Health Organization. Guideline: Protecting, Promoting and Supporting Breastfeeding in Facilities Providing Maternity and Newborn Services. Geneva: World Health Organization; 2017. Available: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/books/NBK487819/
- Subaryono, Zulham A, Mahulette RT. Pengembangan Perikanan Tangkap Laut Kota Kendari. Badan Riset dan Sumber Daya Manusia Kelautan dan Perikanan; 2017.
- Kaimila Y, Divala O, Agapova S, Stephenson K, Thakwalakwa C, Trehan I, et al. Consumption of Animal-Source Protein is Associated with Improved Height-for-Age z Scores in Rural Malawian Children Aged 12–36 Months. Nutrients. 2019;11: 480. doi:10.3390/nu11020480
- Wright CM, Parkinson KN, Shipton D, Drewett RF. How Do Toddler Eating Problems Relate to Their Eating Behavior, Food Preferences, and Growth? Pediatrics. 2007;120: e1069–e1075. doi:10.1542/peds.2006-2961
- Brown CL, Perrin EM, Peterson KE, Brophy Herb HE, Horodynski MA, Contreras D, et al. Association of Picky Eating With Weight Status and Dietary Quality Among Low-Income Preschoolers. Acad Pediatr. 2018;18: 334–341. doi:10.1016/j.acap.2017.08.014
- Funge?Smith S, Bennett A. A fresh look at inland fisheries and their role in food security and livelihoods. Fish Fish. 2019;20: 1176–1195. doi:10.1111/faf.12403
- United Nations Children’s Fund. Food Systems for Children. United Nations Children’s Fund; 2021.
- Byrd KA, Pincus L, Pasqualino MM, Muzofa F, Cole SM. Dried small fish provide nutrient densities important for the first 1000 days. Matern Child Nutr. 2021;17. doi:10.1111/mcn.13192
- Virudachalam S, Chung PJ, Faerber JA, Pian TM, Thomas K, Feudtner C. Quantifying parental preferences for interventions designed to improve home food preparation and home food environments during early childhood. Appetite. 2016;98: 115–124. doi:10.1016/j.appet.2015.11.007
- Coutsoudis A, Maunder EM, Ross F, Ntuli S, Taylor M, Marcus T, et al. A qualitative study on food security and caring patterns of vulnerable young children in South Africa. World Health Organization; 2000.
- Dewey KG. Reducing stunting by improving maternal, infant and young child nutrition in regions such as South Asia: evidence, challenges and opportunities: Reducing stunting by improving nutrition. Matern Child Nutr. 2016;12: 27–38. doi:10.1111/mcn.12282
- Patanda M, Wisudo SH, Monintja DR, Wiryawan B. Sustainability for reef fish resource based on productivity and susceptibility in Wangi-Wangi Island, Southeast Sulawesi, Indonesia. Aquac Aquar Conserv Legis. 2017;10.
- Purnama MF, Sirza LOMJ, Salwiayah, Abdullah, Nurhikma, Anwar K, et al. Freshwater Neritidae in Southeast Sulawesi, Indonesia. Aquac Aquar Conserv Legis. 2022;15.
- Food and Agriculture Organization of the United Nations. The State of Food Security and Nutrition in the World 2021. 2021. Available: https://www.fao.org/state-of-food-security-nutrition/2021/en/
- Motbainor A, Worku A, Kumie A. Stunting Is Associated with Food Diversity while Wasting with Food Insecurity among Underfive Children in East and West Gojjam Zones of Amhara Region, Ethiopia. van Wouwe J, editor. PLOS ONE. 2015;10: e0133542. doi:10.1371/journal.pone.0133542
- Ruel MT. Is dietary diversity an indicator of food security or dietary quality? A review of measurement issues and research needs. Food Nutr Bull. 2003;24: 231–232. doi:10.1177/156482650302400217
- Haddad L, Achadi E, Bendech MA, Ahuja A, Bhatia K, Bhutta Z, et al. The Global Nutrition Report 2014: Actions and Accountability to Accelerate the World’s Progress on Nutrition. J Nutr. 2015;145: 663–671. doi:10.3945/jn.114.206078
- Van Dael P. Role of n-3 long-chain polyunsaturated fatty acids in human nutrition and health: review of recent studies and recommendations. Nutr Res Pract. 2021;15: 137. doi:10.4162/nrp.2021.15.2.137
- Golden CD, Koehn JZ, Shepon A, Passarelli S, Free CM, Viana DF, et al. Aquatic foods to nourish nations. Nature. 2021;598: 315–320. doi:10.1038/s41586-021-03917-1
- UN Nutrition. The role of aquatic foods in sustainable healthy diets. UN Nutrition; 2021.